There will be a hiring open house at Meadow Brook Hall from 2-7 p.m. on Monday, April 4, for a wide variety of catering positions on the “front-of-the-house” teams and kitchen teams.
More information about the available positions are below:
Catering (Front-of-House) Jobs:
Now seeking friendly, hospitality-hearted people with a strong work ethic who have worked in food and beverage venues in roles that provided high quality guest service.
Your ability to learn from our guest service training and to implement what you’ve learned will determine your success. Service to guests is just part of the day. Weather plays an important role in the way we work.
We work both indoors in the beautiful rooms of historic Meadow Brook Hall and outside, with duties that may include pouring drinks at a bar, butlering hors d’oeuvres or transferring items from the kitchen to the Garden Tent. Additional daily tasks include pushing carts to get china, silverware and glassware here and there and back, sometimes lifting racks and bus tubs that might weigh up to 25 pounds, standing and walking for most of your shift.
The following positions require professional references and verifiable experience in the same role:
- Bartender at a similar venue or high-end hotel or restaurant
- Banquet waitstaff at a similar venue or high-end hotel or restaurant
These positions require personal references. Work experience in the food service or hospitality industry is desirable but not required:
- Server assistant. Must be at least 16 years old. Work permit will be required. This position provides assistance to the banquet waitstaff.
- Barback. Must be at least 18 years old. This position helps bartenders set up, organize, restock and break down the bars.
These are entry level positions. References are required.
- Busser (front of the house utility). Must be at least 16 years old. Work permit will be required. This position helps transport carts to and from the Hall to the Garden Tent or to outdoor food and beverage stations. Bussers assist waitstaff with removal of dishes. This is generally an evening position, beginning between 4 and 6 p.m. primarily on weekends, and offers very flexible scheduling. Limited or no experience needed.
- Set-up staff. Work permit will be required for those under 18. 8:30 a.m. to approximately 1 p.m. one to three days a week. This position offers the most scheduling flexibility. Limited or no experience needed.
Supervisory position available:
- Set-up/Event supervisor (Part-time, hourly). Experience with an events or linen company is desirable but not required.
- This position reads and interprets complex Banquet Event Orders (BEOs), plans the execution of the event set-up, gathers the required items to prepare for transport to their destination and works in a hands-on role with set-up team members to complete the set.
- This position may work with table, chair and linen vendors, florists and other vendors to coordinate a successful set.
- This is a leadership role that requires successful experience overseeing others. The ability to listen, coach, guide, instruct, motivate and earn the respect of your team while completing the set in a timely fashion are necessary.
- Must be able to push and pull carts and/or racks loaded with china, silver, glassware and linen on occasion.
- Must be able to work in both an outdoor and indoor environment. Will need to manage set-up during any number of weather situations. There is a significant amount of walking involved in this position.
Kitchen Staff Jobs:
Meadow Brook is hiring for a variety of positions in our kitchen for morning (approximately 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.) and afternoon (approximately 2-10 p.m. or 3-11 p.m.) shifts. Shift times will vary. Applicants are preferred to be 18 years+, but aged 16 and up will be considered. Must provide a work permit if necessary.
Prep & production staff for both shifts: Slice/dice fruits & vegetables, receive orders/deliveries, pull & organize products for events, appetizer construction, plate up salads, plate up desserts, assist in plating up entrees, salad, entrée, dessert expo, sweeping, mopping, routine wiping/cleaning of work surfaces, limited dishwashing during shift. Limited or no experience.
Credentialed cooks: Season and sear proteins, production of starch options and sides, production of vegetable options/sides, appetizer construction and cooking, sauce production, plate up of entrees, expo of salads, entrée expo, saucing of entrees at expo, dessert expo, sweeping, mopping, routine wiping/cleaning of work surfaces, limited dishwashing during shift. Experience required.
Garde Manger Specialist: Prep and build cheese, fruit, vegetable, charcuterie displays. and build sweets displays (product is either made in house with basic recipes/procedures, commercially manufactured or purchased from a local bakery/pastry shop), sweeping, mopping, routine wiping and cleaning of work surfaces, limited dishwashing during shift. Experience required.
Dishwashers/Utility: Rack and spray dishes to be run through a multi rack dish machine, spray/scrub pots/pans to be run through multi rack dish machine, maintaining organization of pot and pan area, sweeping, mopping, general wiping/cleaning equipment, emptying trash receptacles, assisting in prep & expo as needed. Limited or no experience.