Meadow Brook Girl Scout Programs
Bring your troop to Meadow Brook Hall and step back in time as you tour the mansion. Meadow Brook Hall inspires and educates with its grand rooms and collections of fine and decorative art. The expansive collection provides scouts with insight into local history that has had an international impact, making this estate, with its original furnishings unlike any place you have seen before.
Please note that only the Holiday Walk scout tour is available November 27 – December 23, 2015.
Meadow Brook GIRL Scout Program Features
- Tour times: Tours are offered weekdays after school and on weekends at 10:30 a.m. and 1:00 p.m., and may be available on half days or days off from school.
- Cost: All Girl Scout programs are $10 per person attending (Scouts, adults and siblings).
- Free admissions: With the first ten paid admissions, your group receives two free admissions for troop leaders.
- Holiday Walk: Programs booked during Meadow Brook Hall’s Holiday Walk are $15 per person attending. During Holiday Walk, weekend tours are at 10:00 a.m., 12:30 p.m. and 2:30 p.m.
- Arrive early: Please arrive 10 minutes before the start of your tour to ensure starting and ending on time. Groups that arrive late will have their tour shortened accordingly.
- Amenities: All programs include cookies and lemonade and a craft/game at the end of the tour.
Girl Scouts Meadow Brook Hall “Journey”
Your Girl Scouts will grow with The Hall, as they follow this special journey:
- Daisy Teddy Bear Tea: This is an introduction to The Hall, with a child-friendly tour of the main floor. We then go to Frances’ playroom for dress-up and tea.
- Making Games patch: This is the next step of the journey, offering more information about the family and growing up in the 20s and 30s. We take a scavenger hunt tour through the whole house and finish upstairs with the type of games Frances would have loved.
- Playing the Past patch: The girls are older so it’s time to learn more about The Hall, taking an architectural tour through history and finishing with an activity.
- Secret Spaces: This is a tour intended for the older Scout who has been to Meadow Brook. A special behind the scenes tour that earns the Meadow Brook Hall patch – congratulations for completing your journey!
- Estate Walking Tour: An exciting tour for older girl scouts! This tour involves a lot of walking on tough terrain with steep inclines. Tours continue rain or shine, so dress appropriately for the weather (offered Memorial Day through Labor Day only).
DAISY TEDDY BEAR TEA
Designed as a first visit and introduction to Meadow Brook Hall, the Teddy Bear Tea Party is perfect for young girls. It includes a brief introduction of the Dodge-Wilson family, a tour of the first floor, a tea party and a Teddy Bear Tea Party patch. Girls are invited to bring a teddy bear or doll to have “tea” with them. Approximately 1 hour.
This tour focuses on the Wilson and Dodge family history: how life differed when they were living at Meadow Brook in the 1930s and 40s, their contributions to the community, and their role in making history. After the tour, scouts play pictionary and have a snack. Approximately 1.5 hours.
MEETS: Brownie Girl Scouts – Making Games badge
PLAYING THE PAST
Learn about the history and construction of Meadow Brook Hall with a tour that spans the centuries of architectural details inside. Your girls will know what it takes to be “nifty-fifties” and finish with a craft and snack in Frances’ playroom. They are welcome to wear costumes they create on their own for Playing the Past. Approximately 1.75 hours.
MEETS: Junior Girl Scouts – Playing the Past badge
Secret Spaces tour is back!
Your troop knows Meadow Brook like the back of their hands … now they’re ready to “master” it by exploring everything behind the scenes. Check out the secret passage ways and attic level of Meadow Brook Hall … an exclusive tour for Scouts only! Approximately 1.5 hours (includes snack). This tour is intended for the older Scout who has been to Meadow Brook before.
Knole Cottage Add-On
Knole Cottage is the charming six-room, Tudor-style playhouse built for Frances Dodge, daughter of Matilda and John Dodge. The playhouse features a living room, dining room, bedroom, playroom, bathroom and kitchen – all with child-size furnishings and appliances. Also featured in the playhouse are the collections of dolls, toys and tea sets owned by Frances. Approximately 1 hour.
*Available June – August only, rain or shine. Please dress accordingly for weather and outdoor activities.
*Offered as a combination tour in addition to other Girl Scout tours. (additional $5 per person charge)
Your girls will learn to properly set a table, introduce themselves, handle meals at a friend’s house, and more! This tour changes according to the age range. Plan to spend an additional 30 minutes in Frances’ playroom.
*Offered as a combination tour in addition to other Girl Scout tours. (additional $2 pp charge)
- Daisy Girl Scouts: It’s Your World- Change It! Journey patch
- The Watering Can Award: Being “responsible for what I say and do.”
- Brownie Girl Scouts: It’s Your Story – Tell It! Journey patch
- The Making Friends Badge: “show friends you care.”
- Junior Girl Scouts: It’s Your Story – Tell It! Journey patch
- Social Butterfly: “Be prepared for special occasions.”
Meadow Brook GIRL SCOUT HOLIDAY WALK TOUR
Come see Meadow Brook Hall decorated for the holidays! Scouts will tour the home while participating in a holiday scavenger hunt. Then stroll down the wintry path through the woods to Knole Cottage and Danny’s Cabin both “decked” for the holidays! Each group will enjoy hot chocolate and cookies immediately following the tour.
Meadow Brook Girl Scout BRIDGING CEREMONIES
Your troop still talks about their Daisy tea and the “secret spaces” of The Hall, so why not let us host this special day? Hold your troop’s bridging ceremony in one of Meadow Brook Hall’s beautiful rooms or gardens. Please call or e-mail for more information.