Meadow Brook Hall: The Cornerstone of Oakland University's Educational Legacy
Wealth from the industrial age in America made country estates and retreats possible in the early years of the 20th century. And in Detroit, the auto industry in particular made Meadow Brook Farms and Hall possible, as well as its sister properties such as Henry Ford's Fairlane mansion in Dearborn and the Eleanor and Edsel Ford home in Grosse Pointe.
Of course, Meadow Brook's location in the country, and its sprawling acreage, set it apart somewhat. But, something else would set it apart even more . . . and that something was the foresight and vision of its owners, Matilda and Alfred Wilson, to use their accumulated wealth and property to create a lasting legacy . . . a legacy of higher education that would affect the lives of literally thousands of people and to a growing extent the economic vitality of the region.
Sometime in 1955, area civic leaders, among them Oakland County commissioners, began to suggest the idea that Oakland County, at the time the second most populace county in the state – and for which substantial growth was projected in the second half of the century – should have its own institution of higher education.
In fact, the chair of the commission, architect J. Robert Swanson, was known to have contacted the Wilsons and asked that they donate part of their 1,400-acre estate to the University of Michigan for such a purpose.
The Wilsons were somewhat interested. However, Mrs. Wilson, who was active in civic affairs and had been Lt. Governor for a brief period, had served for six years on the State Board of Agriculture, the governing body of Michigan State University, and she was an admirer of MSU's President, John Hannah.
So, on November 3, 1956, Matilda and Alfred Wilson traveled to East Lansing, where just before the kickoff of a football game against Wisconsin they met privately with President Hannah and MSU Vice President Durward "Woody" Varner and told them they had been approached by Mr. Swanson.
Mrs. Wilson asked President Hannah if he would be interested in MSU having an affiliation with such a college in Oakland County. He quickly said 'yes.' Several weeks later, MSU Vice President Varner visited the Wilsons to further the discussion, and was in his words "awestruck" by the Meadow Brook estate.
On December 26, John Hannah and Woody Varner traveled together to Avon Township to call on the Wilsons at their Meadow Brook home to finalize the gift. In the car ride from East Lansing, the two men decided that, in addition to the land, they needed money for the initial college buildings and that they had better ask for that, too . . . They decided on a figure of $2 million.
As they sat in Mr. Wilson's study in Meadow Brook Hall, President Hannah told the Wilsons something to the effect that "the State doesn't have any money and it would be a pity to have this beautiful piece of land sit idle. But, if you could see your way clear to give us $2 million, we could build enough of a building to get this institution off the ground and running."
Matilda answered almost casually, "Well, I think we can do that."
Michigan State - Oakland
The gift of the entire Meadow Brook Estate and $2 million in cash – a value estimated at $10 million – was announced publicly on January 3, 1957 at a civic luncheon at Bloomfield Hills Country Club. Meadow Brook Hall and an immediately surrounding 127 acres would stay with the Wilsons until their deaths – Alfred in 1962 and Matilda in 1967.
MSU's Woody Varner would become the new branch campus's first chancellor.
In addition to building buildings and infrastructure, Varner got to work hiring the best and brightest young Ph.D.s from all over the country to serve as charter faculty.
And he created the academic curriculum through a series of meetings called The Meadow Brook Seminars. During 1958, educational, business and industrial leaders from across the United States met over many weeks at Meadow Brook Hall to create the serious and innovative educational experience that still characterizes Oakland University today.
Michigan State University – Oakland, or MSU-O as it was called – opened in September 1959 with 570 students and 3 buildings as a new and pioneering effort in higher education just as the space age was in its infancy. In 1963, MSU-O became known as Oakland University.
Founder Matilda Dodge Wilson was actively engaged in life on the new campus, hosting annual formal dances at her home and giving diamond rings to each student in the charter graduating class. Matilda died in 1967 on a trip to Europe to buy horses for her vast stables.
Oakland University Today
In 1970, the state granted the university autonomy from Michigan State and appointed its first board of trustees. While the university grew steadily over the next two decades, things started to really change in 1995, when Dr. Gary D. Russi was appointed interim president. He was named OU's fifth president in 1996. From that point forward, OU's enrollment has grown nearly 50 percent, to nearly 19,000 students today. It is classified as one of the country's 83 doctoral research universities by the Carnegie Commission.
The university offers 121 undergraduate degree programs and 98 graduate degree and certificate programs, including the Ph.D. . . . through the College of Arts and Sciences, the Honors College and 5 professional schools . . . which are Business Administration, Education and Human Services, Engineering and Computer Science, Health Sciences and Nursing.
In the spring of 2007, OU and Beaumont Hospitals announced a partnership to create a new medical school, the Oakland University William Beaumont School of Medicine. Scheduled to open in 2011 with an initial class of 50 students, the school is one of only several new medical schools to be founded in the U.S. in the past 25 years.
Like many of the other OU programs that have community and research components, the new medical school is expected to have a major positive impact on the region's economy – creating hundreds if not thousands of related jobs and millions of dollars in revenue. In fact, OU already contributes roughly $500 million annually to the region's economy.
To visit Oakland University's site, click here.
To visit Oakland University's site, click here.
Meadow Brook Hall Today
Oakland University took possession of Meadow Brook Hall from Matilda Wilson's estate in 1971. Located on the university's East Campus, near the corner of Walton Boulevard and Adams Road, Meadow Brook Hall and its expansive grounds and gardens today serve as a historic museum attraction for national and international tourists as well as a cultural center for campus groups and a unique location for significant community events. This cornerstone of the Wilsons' educational legacy also welcomes university faculty and students as a place to study first-hand architectural, social and art history.
An auxiliary of the university, The Hall opens its doors to the community to rent individual rooms for private meetings, or groups of rooms or the entire building and grounds for social and corporate events – ranging from business breakfasts to large, exclusive weddings. Four-star food service is a hallmark of the Meadow Brook experience, and all functions are managed by a staff of professional event coordinators. Revenue from facility rental supports both the operation of the building and its maintenance and preservation.
And, as the flagship of the campus physical plant, the former home of the university's founders functions as the community gateway to OU through public, corporate and social events . . . and it serves as OU's premier facility for cultivating friends and donors and hosting high-level meetings with partners, including ceremonial milestones.
Rather than burden students with helping to finance the operation and preservation of The Hall – costs for which average $4,400 a day – the university set up the building as a self-supporting enterprise, with the capacity to generate its full revenue needs through facility rental, tourism, special events, merchandise sales and fund raising.